intermediate workshop, $130 plus materials (list below)
In this class students will learn the technique of filigree fabrication. Topics covered will include design process, frame structure, making your own filigree wire, filigree wire setting, fitting the filigree wire into the frame, soldering, and finishing the product.
Minimum of 3 students needed to hold this workshop.
Instructor: Michelle Startzman of Michelle Startzman Metalwork
- Sterling silver round wire, 20g (about 3-4 feet)
- Fine silver round wire, 26g (10-15 feet minimum)
- Silver paste solder, 65% (Rio Item Number: 103102)
- Small selection of small sterling silver soldered jump rings
- Sharpie marker
- Blue heron 00 tweezers (Rio Item Number: 115012)
- Solderite pad (Rio Item Number: 502063)
- Pliers - round nose, chain nose, flat nose (some will be available to borrow if needed)
- Wire cutters (some will be available to borrow if needed)
Filigree Workshop - Sunday, September 1, 9am-5pm
To use open studio you must have taken our beginning jewelry class or an equivalent class at another studio.
You must be able to work independently. There will be a studio monitor on site but they are not available for personal instruction during open studio. If you feel you need more assistance, you can schedule a private lesson or sign up for the project based open studio.
Tools are available for you to use. Please return tools to where you found them so that others can use them as well. Please do not remove tools from the instructor's bench.
Report any damaged or broken tools/equipment immediately.
You must wear closed toed shoes to participate in classes, workshops, and open studio. If you do not have on closed toed shoes you will not be allowed to work in the studio.
Hair that is shoulder length or longer must be pulled back when using the flex shaft or torch.
Do not arrive more than 15 minutes prior to class or you will be asked to utilize your studio time.
Please be courteous and clean up your work area before leaving the studio.